Saturday, March 23, 2013

Sweet and Sour Veggies

In a large saucepan, cook in 1/4 c. vegetable or chicken broth until crispy/tender:
1 onion, cut in thin strips
2 green onions, chopped
1 c. 3'' long mung bean sprouts (I didn't have any, so... I left 'em out)
1 c. each diagonally sliced carrots, celery, cauliflower
1 T. sesame seeds (I used poppy seeds)
pinch garlic powder

Add 2 c. beans (any kind) and 1 c. pineapple and heat through while preparing sauce.

Finely chop one medium bell pepper and simmer until tender in 1/2 pineapple juice and 1/4 c. honey (1 t. molasses is optional). Mix 2 t. white bean flour (or any flour), 2 t. cornstarch, 2 T. vinegar, 1/4 t. ground ginger, and 1 T. soy sauce. Add to juice mixture, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute. Makes 1 1/2 cups.

Pour thickened sauce over hot vegetable mixture. Serve over brown rice, garnished with additional sesame seeds or chopped, toasted almonds. Serves 6-8.

*We just had this as a side dish--no rice or anything. I liked it A LOT (but just because it was sweet.) It's amazing what pineapple juice and honey can do to sweeten the veggies. It was really good! And really healthy! Can it get better? I don't think so...
This recipe comes from Rita Bingham's, "Country Beans".

No comments: