Tuesday, October 8, 2013

L Day

We started "L" Day with a selfish motive. Laundry needed to be done. Perfect. After explaining that laundry starts with "L", Parker and I--and even Stockton!-- began the sorting process. Throw whites into this hamper, throw colors over there. It was actually quite fun.

Once finished, we watched documentary clips about lightning. Afterward, I tried "creating" lightning with some paper clips sticking out of a clay figure and rubbing a balloon on the carpet for some static electricity, but it was a no go. I don't like feeling shocked anyway.

Our next "L" activity was to learn about the lungs. We traced Parker's body on some butcher paper and drew his lungs on the figure, and then inflated and deflated a balloon to kind of show how our lungs work. We also watched a cartoon clip of air traveling into and out of our lungs, and then watched a real cadaver lung inflate and deflate. I asked Parker multiple times if he was okay as we watched this because he looked rather concerned, but his response of, "No. Don't turn it off" eased my mind.
 
 

Another activity was to read by lantern light. We grabbed our lantern and "The Lorax" and sat down in the darkness of our bathroom (it being the only room with no windows. Ha ha). Afterward, we read all of his books by the light of the lantern that had the word, "little" in the title. He may never go back to reading in his bedroom or in the living room again!

We also simply colored the letter "L" and other pictures that started with that letter.

As I've said before, I love learning this way. Not only does it help Parker recognize the letters, it helps me keep my "mommy mind" going. :) But putting that aside, KIDS' minds are quick. You never know what they will pick up. For example, the morning after "L" Day, Parker took a deep breath in and said, "Hey! I can breathe better! My lungs help me do that."


No comments: