Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Health Nut

You know that button inside your body that tells you when you're full? Yeah, mine doesn't work. I can feel like puking while stuffing the fifth piece of chocolate cake in my mouth, but my mind tells me, "It's so good! You HAVE to keep going!" So I do.

So it's no wonder that one night I prayed--for the hundredth time--to have the strength to be more healthy. I was really praying for a miracle because... well, nothing was working. And, frankly, I had a hard time summoning the desire to even have a desire once food was placed in front of me.

I decided to attend a 5:45am aerobics class, which ended up being an answer to my prayer. I had--non-coincidentally, I believe--come on the first day of a competition. And there was a group of friends who needed one more person to be on their team of four. Oh, baby, was I in!

This competition is called, "Feel Great in 8." You add or subtract points depending on what you eat, how long you exercise, and even if you read your scriptures and pray. Bonus points are added for weight loss. Talk about feeling great in ALL areas of your life, thus creating a balance I've been looking for. Everyone pitched in $5 for the eight week program, and the team who has the most points by the end of the eight weeks, wins the money. Your team is simply your support system--not to mention the people who are going to be really mad at you if you screw up your health goals.

That being said, I've been looking up healthy recipes and going nuts over stuff that I had never even heard of before. So far, I've made ten loaves of whole wheat bread, have been eating whole wheat pasta, and have made it a point to have more fruits and veggies readily available for snacks. And, surprisingly, sweets haven't been as big of a problem as I thought they would be. Am I aware that there is a delicious chocolate cake underneath that bowl? Yes. Do I want some? You bet. But I am at peace with the fact that I will not--not CANnot--have it. Yes, I'm surprising even myself here.

So, for the next little while, I'll be posting some recipes that I've found that are quite yummers, yet healthy for you. I'd tell you that even my two year old will eat them, but he usually eats whatever we give him anyway. Even if it does take some persuasion.

1 comment:

coriandjohn said...

I can't believe I didn't have your blog address before you posted those recipes! I know talking about recipes and life isn't quite like getting to read your novel, but it was fun to hear your 'writing voice'! You're way fun to read :) on another note, I'm super pysched to make these tried and true recipes you're posting, especially the grape nuts! Only problem is I'm sure I'll be missin' ya with every bite! Love ya and hope you're doing great!