Monday, February 4, 2013

To the Moon and Back

After seeing some sand castles in a book, Parker wanted to make some. I remembered a "moon sand" recipe that I had heard of once, so we made that, but instead of baby oil I used just vegetable oil (4 c. flour mixed with 1/2 c. vegetable oil). I mixed it up in the biggest bowl that I had, put some measuring cups in there and Parker and I went to town.

Somewhere in our playtime, Stockton woke up from a nap and I went to feed him. I called in to Parker numerous times just to keep him in check. *Keep in mind, please, that I DID know there was going to be a mess to clean up. But as long as Parker was enjoying himself, sweet. I'd just wipe all the flour off the table and then sweep it up.

After Stockton was done eating, I called my mom and we chatted for minute. Then, placing toys in front of Stockton on the floor, and preparing myself for whatever mess Parker had for me to clean up, I entered the kitchen. Just in time for me to catch Parker chuck a handful of flour across the room.

So, what do you get when you mix a two-year-old and flour? DUH. You get a mom who knows she can't be mad and smiles and shakes her head to herself thinking, "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea." You get a mom who has to carefully take the toddler to the tub, remove EVERYTHING from the kitchen, vacuum out the high chair, the window sills, the designs on the window frame; sweep off the chairs, the bar stools, the trim on the bar, the baseboards, the designs on the baseboards, the table, the counter, the wall... anything that belongs in a kitchen that I've missed? When I used the vacuum for some of the mess, it coated the inside of the vacuum. Yeah... maybe I should clean that out.

It was a fun project, but we'll be playing with our "moon sand" in the bathtub from now on. Thank you. :)




No comments: